If you’re looking for the best portable crib for grandma’s house, look no further.
This guide is for you.
If you’re in a rush, here is a comparison table listing down all the 7 top portable baby cribs for grandma’s house.
When travelling to your kid’s grandparents’ house, carrying along a portable crib is perhaps the most important thing you cannot afford to ignore.
Since it’s compact and foldable, a portable baby crib is easy to pack in the car when travelling.
Carrying a crib along ensures your baby sleeps soundly after a long trip.
Plus if the number of bedrooms in the house are fully occupied during the visit, you won’t have to worry about your little one getting sandwiched between you and your partner.
Usually, there are two kinds of portable baby cribs;
- Standard wooden baby cribs that feature a foldable design
- Travel Cribs that double as baby playards
You can choose the one that best suits your preferences.
Tips for Choosing the Best Portable Crib for Grandma’s House
I recommend two important things when looking to buy a portable crib for grandparents’ house;
- One, foldable design
- Two, lightweight design
That’s all. The crib must be foldable in order to fit perfectly into the car. It should also be lightweight for hassle-free carrying from the house to the car and from the car to the house.
That said, let’s discuss 7 portable cribs that are suitable for carrying along to your parents’ house.
Best Portable Crib for Grandma’s House (Our Top 7 Picks and Buyer’s Guide)
1.Lotus Travel Crib – Backpack Portable Crib– Best Portable Crib for Grandma’s House
The Lotus Travel Crib is currently one of the best-selling travel cribs on Amazon- and it’s all for the right reasons.
It’s a lightweight, compact, and foldable travel crib that allows you to pack it inside your car when heading over to grandma’s house.
Weighing a mere 13lbs and boasting of a compact design, this travel crib packs into an easy to carry, hands-free backpack carrying case.
Since it easily transforms into a compact backpack bag, this crib slides easily into the plane compartment for hassle-free airplane travel.
Assembly is quick and easy- in just 15 seconds, the travel crib will quickly transform into a full-sized crib. Folding also takes a mere seconds and this makes it really convenient especially when packing in a hurry.
Besides being a compact and lightweight portable crib, here are more incredible features worth mentioning;
- Comfortable Mattress– This crib also comes with a durable and super comfy mattress so your little one can sleep soundly. It also provides a perfect space for playing. The mattress is made with soft foam that is approved for newborns and infants for quality overnight sleep
- Certified Safe and Non-Toxic-The Lotus Travel Crib is the only playard travel crib that is GreenGuard Gold Non-Toxic Certification. This simply means it does not contain lead, is low in Vocs, phthalates, heavy metals, and PVC. To ensure maximum airflow into the crib, its design boasts of a full-height mesh
- Features a Quiet Side Zipper Door-The crib comes with a side zipper door that closes and opens quietly. As soon as you cuddle your little one to sleep, simply close the zipper door
- Backed by a 2-Year Warranty plus Exceptional Customer Service
- I’ve seen a few complaints about the mattress resting too close on the floor- it’s not elevated. This is not healthy at all especially if you’re placing it on a carpeted floor due to the dust, fibers, and other potentially harmful allergens
- Mattress is too hard- it’s made of plastic
- Few complaints about the zipper not being quiet
- Bedsheet is not included- you’ll have to purchase one separately or just improvise
- Hefty price-tag- it’s one of the most expensive travel baby cribs on Amazon. If you’re on a tight budget, I suggest looking for a more budged friendly option. Check out my other affordable recommendations below.
Overall, despite the few drawbacks, the Lotus Travel Crib with Comfortable Mattress is one of the best portable cribs for grandma’s house.
It’s compact, foldable, and really lightweight for hassle-free packing and travelling. It might be a little bit expensive compare to most models but I can assure you it’s one of the most valuable things you’ll ever get for your child.
2. Baby Trend Nursery Center– Travel Crib for Grandparent’s House
The Baby Trend Nursery Center is yet another amazing portable crib for grandma’s house.
It’s one of the best-selling baby nursery centers and a great alternative for a baby crib especially during travels.
I’ve seen a lot of parents praising it as a secondary crib or travel crib for grandparents’ house.
Besides its compact design, the Baby Trend Nursery Center folds easily for hassle-free storage and travel.
A versatile baby travel crib, this crib also features a removable full-size bassinet. It also doubles as a playard withthree plush toys that helps keep your child occupied and entertained.
Also included is a diaper stacker for storing your baby’s essentials.
The One-Hand Locking Mechanism lets you easily open and close this portable playard/bassinet/travel crib with great ease.
The Baby Trend Nursery Center also features two Large Wheels with breaks that provide it with great stability and mobility.
Thanks to the wheels, you can actually move the crib from one room to the other with ease.
One of the biggest advantage is that it’s really affordable compared to most playards/travel cribs on Amazon. This makes it a suitable choice for parents running on a strict budget.
- I’ve noticed a few complaints about the playard being a little bit hard to assemble and disassemble
Overall, the Baby Trend Nursery Center is a great portable crib and an amazing alternative to the standard bulky baby crib. It makes travelling with the baby really easy and the good news is that it doesn’t cost and arm and a leg!
3. BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light-Best Folding Portable Crib
If you’re looking for a compact and portable baby crib for grandma’s house, the BabyBjorn Travel Crib Light is yet another amazing option.
The crib is really simple to set up and fold. It makes travelling with your little one really easy.
The crib is designed in such a way that you can easily set it up in just one move and that’s it! A perfect, comfort sleeping space for your little one.
Also included is a comfortable mattress that provides a plush and comfy place for your baby to sleep on.
Both the mattress cover and the travel crib fabric are easy to clean and can be machine-washed.
For safety reasons, the BabyBjorn Travel Crib is constructed with child-safe materials. This means that the fabric is completely free from any harmful materials.
It’s actually approved according to the Oeko Tex Standard.
The crib however comes with a hefty price tag. Although it does offer the convenience of a travel crib, most parents who are on a tight budget may find it exceptionally costly.
- Mattress is too low on the floor- it’s not safe or comfortable
- Not suitable for short parents because it’s just too tall- it’s hard to place the baby in the crib without waking him up
Overall, despite the few disadvantages, the BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light is an excellent portable crib that is suitable for grandma’s house.
It’s quite compact and foldable for easy storage and travelling.
It’s a little bit expensive so if you’re on a tight budget, you might want to consider a more affordable option like the Baby Trend Nursery Center.
4.Graco Travel Lite Crib | Travel Crib Converts from Bassinet to Playard-Best Lightweight Portable Crib
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly portable travel crib, the Graco Travel Lite Crib is an excellent choice and I totally recommend it.
This travel crib is significantly lightweight and folds compactly- this makes it suitable for travels and for moving your little one from one room to another.
After folding it, you can stash it inside the included carry bag to make travels much easier and hassle-free.
Unlike the standard cribs, you can actually position this crib in any room so you can keep an eye on your little one as you perform your daily house tasks.
It’s an excellent travel crib for grandma’s house since it’s easy to pack into the car.
The crib also has wheels which make it extremely easy to move from one room to another.
That aside, let’s discuss some other features that makes it one of the best-selling travel baby cribs on Amazon;
- 3-Growing Stages- The Graco Travel Lite Crib is specially designed to grow with your baby from the newborn stage to a young toddler stage. The first stage which is the newborn stage, the crib acts as a newborn bassinet. The bassinet provides a cozy sleeping area for your little one and can easily support newborns weighing up to 15lbs. The next stage is the Infant Bassinet which can be easily elevated for the baby- this makes it much easier to reach and see the baby. And finally, we have the Young Toddler stage where the bassinet is now adjusted to provide more space for the toddler to stand up and have fun inside the crib. The canopy is not present at this stage. It’s designed to support toddlers weighing up to 35lbs
- Features a Canopy with Soft Toys- The crib also features a canopy with some soft toys attached above to keep your child engaged and entertained. The canopy also helps shield your little one from the sunlight while sleeping
- To ensure a comfortable environment for the baby, the Graco Travel Lite Crib features airy mesh sides to provide maximum ventilation. It ensures adequate airflow which is really important especially during those hot summer days
- Its Sturdy and Durable- I’ve seen a lot of parents praising its excellent sturdiness which not only makes it durable, but also really stable
- I’ve seen a few complaints about it being too small- it’s probably suitable for 3-4 months old infants
Overall, the Graco Travel Light Baby Crib is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a lightweight, compact, and foldable crib for hassle-free travels. It’s one of the best portable cribs for grandma’s house and a great value for your money too! Despite the small-size drawback, it’s still a great portable crib choice for parents looking for a high-quality and hassle-free travel crib.
5. Flisko 2 in 1 Travel Crib & Bassinet-Best Mini Portable Crib
Our number 5 best portable crib for grandma’s house is the Flisko 2 in 1 Travel Crib and Bassinet.
The travel crib is lightweight, foldable, and portable for easy traveling and hassle-free storage.
When folded, the Flisko 2-in-1 Travel Crib fits compactly into a carry bag for easier carrying. The compact crib also fits perfectly into an aircraft, car, and basically, in areas with limited spaces.
When not in use in the house, you can simply slide it inside the closet or under the bed. This makes it an excellent baby crib for small spaces.
The crib is comfortable and cozy thanks to the incredibly soft materials used to line every single part of the bassinet.
Also included is a comfy insulated foam mattress pad with a mattress sheet provides maximum comfort when your little one is sleeping.
The crib is also surrounded by highly breathable mesh fabric that increases airflow into the crib- thus creating a comfortable environment for your little one while sleeping.
Other notable features include;
- Easy Assembly– The crib does not require a time-consuming and tiresome set up. It can be easily set up in a matter of minutes and disassembled quickly too. This is actually pretty convenient because it makes packing in the car or unpacking a quick, hassle-free task
- It’s a Multi-Functional Baby Crib- The crib can be used as a baby bassinet, a travel crib, and even a fun baby playard. There is a zipper on the side of the crib that easily opens up to create enough door space for your little one to crawl right through. In other words, this travel crib can be easily converted to suit your little one’s needs and growing stages
- Sturdy and Durable Construction– The Flisko 2-in-1 Travel Crib boasts of a sturdy and solid frame structure that provides exceptional support to your child. It’s also built with premium materials that keeps the crib stable and strong enough to prevent involuntary folding or hazardous collapsing. It’s basically built to last and with safety in mind
- Its built with child-safe materials- does not contain any heavy metals or other toxic materials that may harm your little one
- Its budget-friendly compared to some high-end portable cribs we’ve reviewed above
- It’s only suitable for newborns and infants. Your young toddler may not fit in very well as it’s a little bit small
6.Babyletto Origami Mini Portable Crib with Wheels in Black
Our 6th recommendation goes to Babyletto Origami Mini Portable Crib with wheels.
It’s currently one of the most popular standard cribs that are actually portable.
Thanks to its foldable design, this mini portable crib allows for convenient transportation and storage.
It actually folds compactly and therefore doesn’t take up much space. You can stash it into the car or hide it away when not in use.
Even better, the Babyletto Origami Mini Portable Crib comes with Wheels which allow you to keep an eye on the baby as you move from one room to another.
Other than that, it’s modern and really versatile and this makes it suitable for grandparent’s house or for urban living spaces.
Other amazing features worth mentioning include;
- Sturdy and Durable Construction- This baby crib is constructed with solid New Zealand’s pine wood which ensures great stability, support, strength, and durability. Its mattress support is actually TSCA compliant engineered wood
- Features a Low-Profile Design- This design makes putting your little one to sleep easily. This actually makes its one of the best baby cribs for short moms
- Adjustable Mattress Height- With 2 adjustable mattress positions, this crib easily adjusts to your little one’s growth. The mattress pad is 1-inch thick
- Made with Child-Safe Materials- The Babyletto foldable baby crib is GreenGuard Gold Certified. This means that it has been tested for over 10,000 chemicals and passed the most stringent emission standards. The crib is also finished in non-toxic finishes that are phthalates and lead-free. Therefore, you can rest assured that your little one will sleep in a safe, comfortable environment all the time
- It doesn’t come cheap
- Some parents have complained that the mattress pad is way thin at 1 inch
- Strong smell after unboxing. This is usually normal for most finished products. If the smell is too much, you can place it outside in direct sunlight for a few hours. This will allow it to off-gas
Overall, the BabyLetto Origami Mini Portable Crib with Wheels is an excellent choice for parents looking for a portable crib for traveling to grandma’s house with the baby.
It’s sturdy and although it’s not the cheapest baby crib in the market, it does offer great value for money as well as great convenience.
7.Dream On Me, Full Size 2-in-1 Folding Stationary Side Crib
And last but not least, we have the Dream On Me Full Size 2-in01 Folding Side Crib.
This baby crib folds flat for easy storage plus its compact design makes it perfect for small spaces.
Actually, you don’t even need to disassemble it in order to fold it.
It boasts of a patented folding system that allows you to fold it without disassembly.
After your little one outgrows this crib, you can simply fold it and store it away.
Its foldable design also makes it really perfect for travelling. Just fold it and pack it in the car during a visit to grandma’s.
Your little one will have a cozy place to sleep on regardless of where you go.
The Dream On Me baby crib is also lightweight. This makes it easy to carry from one room to another or from the house to the car and vice versa.
With locking wheels included, this crib is extremely easy to move from one room to another.
Other notable features include;
- Safety- The crib is built with various safety features like dual safety hooded locking wheels, stationary rail guard, and teething guard. This helps protect your little one against harm and accidental falls
- Built with Child-Safe Materials- does not contain materials with dangerous chemicals, lead, phthalates, and others
- I’ve seen some parents complaining that the crib is not very easy to assemble. Others have complained about some of the assembly parts missing. This is something that the company should consider fixing. NB: These instances are actually not that common as I have only few a small number of parents who have purchased the crib complaining
Overall, the Dream On Me Folding Stationary Side Crib is an excellent choice if you’re looking for the perfect portable crib for grandparent’s house. It folds easily and compactly plus it comes with wheels for mobility. It’s within most baby cribs’ price range and since it’s built to last, it will offer you great value for your money.
What to Look for in the Best Portable Crib for Grandma’s House?
My search for a portable travel baby crib was extremely hectic and frustrating.
Even though I had a slight idea on what to look for, I realized that it was easier said than done.
I finally bought the crib after lots of window shopping and I think what saved me most was a recommendation from a friend.
I totally understand how hectic finding a good portable baby crib for grandma’s house can be.
This is exactly why I have compiled a list of some of the most important things to look for when searching for the best portable crib for grandma’s house.
Let’s dive right in;
1. Compact and Foldable Design
Also commonly referred to as a folding crib, a portable crib is basically a baby crib that compactly folds to fit into small spaces like a car- making them ideal for traveling.
Some portable baby cribs even come with wheels which allow you to move the baby from one room to the other.
This allows you to watch the baby closely as go on with your daily tasks.
When folded, the crib transforms into a compact profile that makes storage and packing in the car hassle-free.
Additionally, the fact that it can be easily folded for transport makes it a perfect baby crib for grandma’s house, small apartment, and other small urban living spaces.
Therefore, when looking for a portable baby crib, be sure to check whether it’s compact and that it has a foldable design.
2.Quick to Set Up
You want a baby crib that doesn’t take up a lot of time to set it up.
Typically, it should fold in just seconds and putting it together should also take the least amount of time.
We are always in a hurry packing and getting ready for travelling so there shouldn’t be any time to waste.
Some travel baby cribs have this design that allow for one-hand folding. Most of these cribs even pack compactly and neatly into the carrying bag.
This allows you to carry it just like a backpack and because it folds compactly, the crib fits nicely into the airplane storage compartment.
Another important feature to consider is whether the crib has a lightweight design.
If a baby crib is designed to be portable, then it must also be lightweight to allow for hassle-free carrying.
Moving the crib from one room to another or from the car to grandma’s house should be a single person’s task- not two.
The only problem with a lightweight portable baby crib is that it may not be as sturdy and durable as a standard crib.
This of course means that it cannot be considered a permanent crib solution. It would only be an ideal secondary crib meant to be used for short travels.
So this is something else you should keep in mind when searching for the best portable crib for travel.
4.Multi-Purpose Portable Travel Crib
Most travel cribs actually double as cribs and playards. Such cribs provide a safe, comfy place for your little one to sleep on while also allowing them to play and have fun right inside.
Some travel cribs even feature some fun toys that help keep your child engaged.
Additionally, there are portable cribs that feature some additional storage space for keeping your baby’s essentials.
Best Portable Crib for Grandma’s House- Bottom Line
Having a portable crib besides the standard crib in the nursery is crucial for when you want to make those quick trips to grandma’s house.
A baby crib that folds easily and compactly will allow you to pack it in the car without much hassle.
A typical lightweight and foldable travel crib will even fit perfectly in the airplane compartment.
Having a portable travel crib is really convenient and it makes travelling with the baby really hassle-free.
I have done my very best to provide you with a comprehensive list of 7 of the best portable cribs for grandma’s house. You can either choose a travel crib or go for a standard crib that has a folding system.